Saturday, May 7, 2011

Free Comic Book Day 2011

The first Saturday in May marks the annual Free Comic Book Day. This is something that the comic industry started about 10 years ago to promote new and independent titles, as well as to try to attract new readers. I first stumbled across this glorious day in 03, when I first moved to Halifax. Me being me, I get excited when I see a comic store, and I want to go in and check it out. When I walk in to Strange Adventures (a local comic shop) staff tells me to my delight, that it is free comic book day and I could choose 10 comics for free. It was fairly busy, but not entirely overwhelming.

The next year we went, the line up was quite a bit longer, and they had a door man to let people in at about 20 at a time. (Strange Adventures, though a fantastic shop with friendly people and the best deal around, is a small, little cave under a sex-toy shop). After that year, they decided to rent out a church hall, the next block over, and allow us faithful nerds to pick up 20 comics. By the time it came to this year, there were well over 1000 people of all ages who attended to pick up some free books.

What makes the Strange Adventures Free Comic Book Day so great is that they don't just offer the comics that are given from the comics companies as free books, but they also offer some older comics, which have been sitting on the shelf for a few years. Furthermore, they have games for the kids and a photo booth which had Thor's hammer and Captain America's Shield. Prizes were given out to people that dressed up in awesome costumes as well.

A nice haul

Again, big thanks to the folks at Strange Adventures.

-d

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit. We always love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...