Thursday, June 9, 2011

Tomato, Sweet Potato & Cheese Sauce

I made this Tomato, Sweet Potato, and Cheese Sauce for my almost 10 month old daughter. It was the first time I didn't puree a meal and she just gobbled it up. Let's hope she'll still like it in a couple of days! Hope your little one enjoys this recipe as much as mine! This is another recipe from Annabel Karmel but this recipe is from her cook book More First Meals CANADIAN EDITION and is actually called "Tomato, Sweet Potato, and Cheese Sauce with Pasta Shells". This book features over 80 recipes with handy food diary and meal planner. It can be especially handy for first time parents, as it has complete meal plans for a week etc., but really any parent. It looks really great on top of that!


As always, I didn't keep completely true to the recipe below, as I probably made a batch and a half and didn't have any cheddar cheese (I used Mozzarella) or enough carrots and eye-balled the crushed tomatoes (I used diced) and sweet potatoes, but my husband and myself both tried it and it actually turned out really nicely. Another change I made to this recipe, was that I steamed the sweet potatoes and carrots first, then added them to the onions and garlic. At the end, instead of pureeing the sauce, I just used a potato masher to make it a little smoother and therefore did not have to puree it at all.

Another big plus for this sauce, is that it's suitable for freezing! The recipe saysto serve this sauce with mini pasta shells but I had some rice left over from the day before, so that's what I mixed in the sauce. Orzo would also be perfect to mix into this sauce, as it's small enough and in the shape of rice but tastes more like pasta.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

*Makes 8 portions of sauce Picture from Amazon.ca
*Provides protein, calcium,
beta-carotene, vits B6, C, D, & E,
Prebiotics
*Sauce suitable for freezing


Ingredients:
*1 tbsp olive oil
*1 onion, chopped
*1 clove garlic, crushed
*2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
*2 medium carrots, peeled & sliced
*400-g (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
*Scant 1 cup boiling vegetable
stock or water (I used water)
*1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
(I used Mozzarella cheese)


Preparation:
Heat the oil in a sauceman and saute the onion until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute longer. Stir in the sweet potatoes and carrots, then pour in the tomatoes and boiling vegetable stock or water. Bring to a boil, stirring. Cover the pan and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

Let cool slightly, then blend the sauce to a puree and stir in the cheese until melted.

Cook pasta (or rice) according to the directions on the package. Drain the pasta and mix with the sauce.

***Serve over mini pasta shells (about 2 heaped tbsp for each portion of sauce - I used Basmati rice)***



Linking up with Skip to My Lou

Pin It

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to visit. We always love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...